Monday, February 09, 2009

Broccolini with Shiitake Mushrooms and Tempeh, Quinoa with Pickled Tomato

We've been rearranging and organizing the kitchen shelves, so have not been cooking for a few days now. For tonight's meal, I started about half a package of tempeh, cut into approximately 1" x 3/4" rectangles, sauteeing over medium-high heat, using garlic grapeseed oil. I used onion, but wanted a juicier onion for this dish; I used about a third of a sweet onion cut into thin, long strips (maybe 1" x 1/4"). I delayed adding most of the onion till the tempeh was starting to brown, reserving a small amount of onion. I also added a handful of shiitake mushrooms that I had cut into thick slices (maybe quarters of each mushroom).

A few minutes later, I added broccolini that I had cut into maybe fifths, and let it cook for two or three minutes, till the broccolini turned dark green. I added the reserved onion, as well as a few shakes of "liquid smoke" and soy sauce, as well as a few pinches of dried dill weed.

I made a simple side quinoa dish by cooking the quinoa (2 parts water to 1 part quinoa) along with a cube of vegan bouillon and a few slices of onion. I mixed in salt and some pickled tomato that I had. Fresh tomato and cubes of avocado rounded out the meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home