Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sauteed Artichoke Hearts over Red Pepper Tapenade Tortilla, Indian Style Edamame, Garlic and Herb Creamy "Sheese" on English Muffin

As I described last October (and a number of other times starting in May 2006), I enjoy sauteeing baby artichokes; unlike a fully grown one, most of the baby artichoke is edible. As described before, I prepared about ten artichokes, quartering them after removing the base and tops and outer leaves and dabbing lemon on the cut edges.

I then started sauteeing a little bit, maybe 1/5, of an onion cut into small, thin strips maybe 1/4" x 3/4". Just a minute or so later, I added the quartered baby artichokes. I let it saute, stirring occasionally, for about 7-9 minutes, letting the artichokes soften and brown a bit. I then added maybe 2 teaspoons of rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano (spring is coming to my garden and oregano is starting to return from its winter slumber!), as well as a little salt, and let it all cook for another few minutes. I cut one corn tortilla into half, spread a little Meditalia brand red pepper tapenade on top of it, and served the artichokes atop that.

I also made some edamame (soybeans) and tried preparing them in an Indian style. I get the edamame frozen and just need to put them in boiling water for less than 5 minutes. I did that, but removed them from the water after about 2 or 3 minutes so they were edible but not mushy. I drained them and started sauteeing another fifth or so of medium (maybe 1/4") chopped onion. As the onion started to become clear, I added the drained edamame and continued cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally. About two or three minutes later, I added maybe 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds and a pinch or two of turmeric, as well as a few pinces of salt. I served the edamame a minute or so later.

I also had some Scottish garlic and herb vegan creamy "Sheese" spread - "Sheese" is the best vegan cheese that I can find. I served a toasted English muffin half with some; my wife avoids tofu, which is part of this product, so her muffin had olive oil. It was a good dinner - and about half of the baby artichokes that I purchased on Sunday are still left for perhaps a steamed presentation later this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home