Friday, February 02, 2007

Himalayan Red Rice Pilaf, Indian Leftovers

When we ate at my parents' house on Sunday, my Mom sent us home with leftover okra and black-eyed peas. I heated those and made a pilaf out of a special rice, Himalayan Red. It's a whole grain rice, more fragrant and maybe more nutritious than brown rice, and we enjoy its taste.

I quickly sauteed in canola oil finely chopped onion, ginger, and red jalapeno pepper (maybe a few tablespoons onion, less than a teaspoon of ginger, and a teaspoon or so of pepper) for a minute or so, then added the rice and stir fried it for a minute or so, adding 1/2 teaspoon or so of cumin seeds in the last 15 seconds or so. Then I added 1.5 times as much water as rice, a pinch of turmeric, and a little salt, and brought the pilaf to a boil. I reduced the heat and simmered, covered, for about 45 minutes. In the last 10 minutes or so, I quickly uncovered the pan, added some frozen peas, and recovered.

I know that olive bread doesn't match this dinner, but we had to use up what was left. I served the bread with sundried tomatoes.

My parents are celebrating a big anniversary on Sunday! We are going to be enjoying a variety of events with them and are going out anyway tomorrow since we won't have time to come home in between an art exhibit reception and a film that we are attending. So my updates may be spotty till Monday.

Oh, normally we eat out on Thursdays when my photography class is in session, but there was bad weather projected for today, including perhaps 1/4 inch of ice. The facility where I teach closed due to weather, but it turned out to be a false alarm. So I cooked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home