Monday, January 22, 2007

African Kale and Sweet Potato

I was inspired by a recipe that I saw for Spicy African Kale and Yams (yams and sweet potatoes are different) to make this variation. I washed red kale leaves and coarsely tore off pieces, very roughly 1 1/2" or so squares, from the central rib. I also diced an unpeeled sweet potato fairly small into maybe 1/4" x 1/2" pieces. I steamed the sweet potato and kale for about 11 minutes. In the meantime, I sauteed large chunks of onion. After a few minutes, I added some diced garlic, ginger, and red jalapeno. When the onion was starting to brown, I added some cumin seeds and sauteed for another minute or so. I combined the contents of the pan and of the steamer into a bowl and mixed in salt, paprika, and Jamaican Pickapeppa sauce.

I served this with brown basmati rice that I had cooked with a vegan bouillon cube, and included a sweet red pepper with a salad. The main course was good and quite unlike anything that I've made. I would make it a bit more spicy if I were to make it again.

5 Comments:

At Tue Jan 23, 05:18:00 AM EST, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

Dilip,
I would like to know about GE food. Here I met one of the Greenpeace Activist.
What measures are you taking to avoid its entry?
Ashwini

 
At Tue Jan 23, 05:22:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for the comment, Ashwini. Genetically modified food is something that I avoid, and one can even make the argument that some food, like tomatoes made with fish genes may not even be vegetarian! I do look for non-GMO labels. I'm glad that you are also looking into the issue.

 
At Wed Jan 24, 12:24:00 AM EST, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

Dilip

Here we don't have such labels.
I was thinking about Tomato gene being modified with that of Fish.......So we can easily imagine a Tomato Variant that will be shaped like Fish with fins and all.......It is horrible!!.........We must stop this....
What are the adv and Disadv of this by the way?

Here in India people even don't understand the meaning...And it will so easily spread once it takes roots.....being cheap and attractive option...!
Something must be done.........

Ashwini

 
At Wed Jan 24, 12:35:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

I'm not an expert at GMO issues, but I think that transgenic attempts with tomato are there to give it more marketable properties - probably shape, efficiency in transport, and shelflife issues, but possibly disease or drought resistance.

 
At Sat Jan 16, 04:51:00 PM EST, Blogger Unknown said...

If you want to learn more about GMO (genetically modified organisms) and GM food ingredients go to www.responsibletechnology.org. Jeffrey Smith is world-reknowned author and lecturer on the subject. His non-profit Institute for Responsible Technology has comprehensive information on the topic including a Non-GMO shopping guide that you can also find at www.nongmoshoppingguide.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home