Friday, January 19, 2007

Strozzapreti pasta with thick homemade sauce

Picking up from yesterday's description, the sauce turned out great! I started the slow cooker going around 3:30a and woke up to a fabulous smell! I had read that the sauce tastes great cooked on low for 10-15 hours, the longer the better, but I let mine go till around 6:30p, or 15 hours and found the edges of the sauce to be slightly burnt. It tasted GREAT with the burnt flavor only slightly distracting - I can't wait to make a tomato sauce again! Next time I may go with a 10-hour cook time.

I served a good-sized portion of strozzapreti pasta and found that the sauce cooked down enough that it was barely enough, so next time I may throw in an additional tomato or two. My wife and I both loved the pasta. I also tossed a salad with oil and vinegar, and served pumpernickel bread with Isle of Bute Foods' vegan cheddar with chives "Sheese".

4 Comments:

At Fri Jan 19, 04:00:00 AM EST, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

Dilip

While buying the outside stuff, how can you be so sure that it does not contain any meat and dairy and is purely vegan?
Just reading the contents will not suffice and we need to have some method of crosschecking .......
Secondly, you should rather avoid food cooked in mixed kitchen i.e.a kitchen which serves both foods.

They might use the same containers then or mix up some non veg dishes too..........We don't know the inside story!

 
At Fri Jan 19, 04:55:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your concerns, Ashwini. I do read labels carefully and don't eat much by way of processed foods, except for items like the occasional vegan "sausage", clearly fully plant-based. I quite enjoyed the satisfaction tonight of making the sauce from scratch!

 
At Sat Jan 20, 11:20:00 PM EST, Blogger JJ (Lady Di) said...

Crockpots, especially the newer ones have had their temps raised. They were worried because the internal temps of foods weren't getting high enough quick enough (although that's more for meat concerns than ours). And temps do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Just so you know. :)

And I love my crockpot, I actually use it before I use a pressure cooker, especially with beans.

 
At Sun Jan 21, 12:59:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, lady di. Slow cooking is new for me, and I have been having a great time with my cooker, but I will have to try cooking for no more than 10-12 hours, at least when I'm making a reasonably small quantity. Thanks for your comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home