Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Leftovers from Café Parizäde (Rice, Stuffed Mushrooms), Ornamental Kale with Tempeh

My wife and my parents organized a very nice surprise birthday party for me a few days ago. I love food at Café Parizäde, and they not only had a nice party at my parents' house, but told our friends at the restaurant to send some food over for our party. They're great and need no further instruction - they made many good dishes, including my limed seitan that they also had made at Thanksgiving this year, my favorite dish at that event, and a nice peanut butter-chocolate cake. There's significant leftovers, so today I made my first dent at using them.

I heated in my rice cooker for a few minutes some nice rice with pine nuts and stuffed mushrooms. I also made a simple stir fry of ornamental kale with tempeh and onion, adding some ginger, green chili pepper, and soy sauce just before serving. I also included pistachios and sundried tomatoes in a salad. The meal was good and filling!

By the way, I have a large slow cooker in the attic that I've never used, and for my birthday, I received a compact 120-watt 1.5 quart Chefmate brand slow cooker with a removable ceramic insert, three heat settings (low, high, and warm), and glass lid. I'm excited because it is small enough that I can find space in my kitchen for it, and it's big enough to make dishes for at least two. So I'm going to experiment with slow cooking, starting with ideas from recipes I can find, such as a vegetable barley soup, a mushroom-wine sauce over pasta, smashed sweet potatoes with cranberries, and many ideas from the Just Slow Cooking website.

4 Comments:

At Thu Jan 04, 12:20:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

I would love to see any slow cooker recipes you come up with- I really want to use mine more often!

 
At Thu Jan 04, 02:28:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Sure thing. I will just be starting, so please feel free to share what you've done, as well. Happy 2007, bazu!

 
At Fri Jan 05, 12:43:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

Happy 2007 to you, too! One of my favorite slow cooker recipes is a winter stew from the Fatfree Vegan blog, which can be found
here

 
At Fri Jan 05, 07:22:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks! I'll have to check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home