Friday, December 15, 2006

Spanish Rice, Leftover Nacatamale

We had a nice nacatamale left over from eating out on Wednesday, and I heated it, giving half to my wife and having half, serving atop raw spinach leaves. I also served sprouts, avocado, radishes, and cucumbers.

I made what turned out to be a particularly delicious Spanish rice. I modified a recipe that I have in my cookbook and used a whole-grain rice that I really like, Himalayan red. The rice usually is prepared in a ratio of 1 rice to 1 and a half water (I like to use vegetable broth) and simmered for about 20 minutes.

What I did, in a small stock pot, is quickly sauteed a medium sized and medium diced onion, equivalently diced half green bell pepper, and 2 cloves sliced garlic. I measured about 2/3 of a small yogurt container of rice, a small can of tomato sauce, and enough water to make a tomato sauce and water combination of more than the 1 1/2 ratio to rice, perhaps twice as much liquid as rice (I like to add more tomato especially if there is likely to be any leftover). When the onion was ready, I briefly put the rice in and quickly stir fried for maybe half a minute, then added the tomato sauce, water, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon or so of whole cumin, a pinch or two of salt, and a medium tomato that I had chopped into medium-small pieces. After bringing to a boil and mixing, I let it sit, loosely covered, on a low simmer for about 25-30 minutes. We loved it!

2 Comments:

At Sat Dec 16, 06:17:00 PM EST, Blogger Eleni Binge said...

Looks very good, I hadn't heard of Naccatamales. Hope you're doing well? We got your message but will be busy tonight...are you planning on any free movie activity??

--mz binge

 
At Sat Dec 16, 09:20:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks. Nacatamales are Nicaraguan tamales - great! Let's get together soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home