Friday, January 05, 2007

Plantains with Vegan Sausage and Lombardo Pepper

I had a plantain that I had to use up and came up with the ideas of cubing the plantain, sauteeing it in a little olive oil, then adding small pieces of smoked apple sage vegan "sausage". I found at the grocery store yesterday packed in vinegar and sunflower oil "Lombardo Peppers with Garlic" - I thought Lombardo peppers were hot, but in fact are quite mild and almost sweet. The garlic was mellowed in the marinade and tasty without cooking, but I sliced the garlic medium thin and roughly chopped the peppers, and added them, as well as a little diced jalapeno pepper. I served this with a purchased relish and the remaining leftover rice from my birthday party last week. The main course's combination of flavors were good and, as I suspected, needed no further sauce or seasoning. (Today I posted the unedited picture of the dinner plate before we actually ate, and after dinner added the description and replaced the image.)

Last night we ate out with my parents, sampling dishes at a restaurant for possibly ordering catered food. I don't eat Indian food very often, in spite of the fact that my parents are immigrants from India. Because I grew up with my Mom's excellent (North Indian) cooking, I find that I am often disappointed with eating out at typical North Indian restaurants - but love South Indian (with rice and lentil dishes like dosa, uttapam, idli and sambar, ...) ones. Anyway, I was looking forward to cooking last night but my Mom wanted to consider having some North Indian food catered for their upcoming anniversary, and we visited a nearby restaurant (Tandoor). It was more disappointing than I expected and was perhaps my worst restaurant experience in a few years.

3 Comments:

At Fri Jan 05, 06:25:00 PM EST, Blogger jenny said...

That's too bad! The waiter at my favorite Indian restaurant just told me last night that the channa massala and naan that I had been eating for years actually contain whey. At least you have your mom's dinners to fall back on!!

 
At Fri Jan 05, 07:12:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Yes, I don't like going out generally to North Indian restaurants. I'm sorry about your bad experience! Beware that some naan even has egg - which is strange as many Indian vegetarians are lacto-vegetarian and prefer not to eat eggs!

 
At Sun Jan 07, 07:38:00 PM EST, Blogger A woman from India said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home