Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Leftover Rice & Green Pea Pilaf and French Lentils with Vegetables; Roasted Russian Banana Fingerling Potatoes

I had a number of leftovers and decided to use the pilaf and lentils that I had from the first of the year (almost two weeks old, alas, but still in good shape). I heated those in the oven, and also used some hummus and a spicy red pepper spread, both from my birthday a few weeks back, spreading atop hearty, dense whole grain Mestemacher Pumpernickel bread.

Also, similarly to what I did on December 28, I made roasted Russian Banana Fingerling potatoes. I sliced the potatoes in half, lengthwise, and, along with chopped rosemary from my garden and cippolini onion (a small Italian onion available in the fall, and also called Borettana onion), I tossed with Sweetwater Growers' infused roasted garlic rosemary oil, salt, and fresh ground black pepper, and roasetd, cut side up and in a single layer, in a 425°F oven for a little over half an hour. I sprinkled some paprika on the potatoes (and hummus) before serving.

I love the taste and appearance of purple carrots and was surprised to find them when I made a quick stop at a conventional grocery store yesterday next to the facility where I exercise. When I checked out, the store's registers didn't have the purple carrots listed, so the manager just gave me the bunch for free (though I told her what I thought the cost was)! I added a purple carrot to the salad that rounded out the reinvented leftovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home