Thursday, November 16, 2006

Buttercup and Ambercup Squashes stuffed with Scrambled Tempeh

Tonight, I prepared seasonal fare by using two kinds of organic winter squash, Ambercup (deep orange and looking like a small pumpkin) and turban-shaped Buttercup. I think this was the first time that I have had Ambercup - the better cooked and drier outside portions reminded me of the taste of chestnut. I simply cut the squashes in half, removed the seeds, and baked, face down on a dish with a little bit of water (to cook with steam and keep the squash moist), at 375° for about 35-45 minutes till I could poke through the flesh with a knife with slight resistance.

In the meantime, I prepared tempeh in a somewhat unusual way. My wife often finds squash bland for her taste (I, on the other hand, love it with just some vegan margarine and salt), so I sauteed tempeh and red onion, crumbled the tempeh, and mixed in some spices and salsa. I served the squash halves with the scrambled tempeh inside, and we both enjoyed it - I especially liked the Ambercup. A great loaf of rustic garlic bread, gently toasted, heirloom tomato, and avocado rounded out the meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home