Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Indian Cooking Class: Rice Pilaf, Curried Mushrooms, Bhindi (okra), Palak Tamatar, Tomato Salad (and more, including Chocolate Tofu Pie)

In class tonight, my students did a very nice job putting together a tasty Indian dinner. I brought frozen paratha breads, which the class had to briefly pan heat, some of my Mom's homemade lemon pickle, and spicy snacks for them to nibble on as they cooked. They cooked a nice rice pilaf (sorry that I forgot to get cashews for them to toast and mix in to the pilaf), curried mushrooms, bhindi (okra), and a tomato salad that was a favorite of my Nanaji's (maternal Grandfather). They also made chai with rice and hazelnut milk, mango shakes, and chocolate tofu pies with organic cherry preserves.

So far in this series of six classes, the consensus is that the Italian cooking class was the best, though one or two of my six students said that tonight was. Surprisingly, some did not like the pie tonight; it is usually a big hit. Everybody liked all of the main courses and drinks!

3 Comments:

At Wed Nov 29, 09:47:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that food looks so good, what a lucky students!

 
At Wed Nov 29, 07:44:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

Oh, that sounds and looks so good right now. We don't really have any good Indian restaurants here in Syracuse (that I know of...) so if I want to eat good Indian food, I better learn to cook it! Lemon pickle, yum! Is that cured with salt?

 
At Thu Nov 30, 02:32:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks on behalf of my students, bazu. Yes, there is salt with the lemon pickle. I think that what my Mom does is mix quartered (and seeded?) lemons in a glass jar with a few tablespoons of salt and "ajwain" (bishop’s weed, related with cumin), possibly a little black pepper, and some lemon juice. Then she simply covers it with an airtight top and puts the jar out in the sun (it's a spring or summer recipe!) for a month or two, stirring every few days or so, till the lemons brown and soften. They're tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home