Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Piracicaba Broccoli with Edamame and Kidney Beans (No Added Fat)

I purchased a number of tasty organic items from our local farmers' market, including Piracicaba broccoli, also known as Brazilian broccoli. I had it raw right after I bought it; it was quite tender and sweet! I also bought nice carrots, a green tomato for pressure cooking, strawberries, and peas.

Earlier, I had prepared red kidney beans in my Instant Pot  (beans soaked overnight and then cooked for I think 12 minutes) as a salad ingredient for a Food for Life class for fourth graders, and used a little more water than I needed. I took most of the beans, but left maybe 1/2 cup plus about the same amount of water, now a bean gravy.

I put the full tender Piracicaba broccoli, looking like broccolini with thin stalks, into the gravy, as well as carrot, frozen shelled edamame beans, garlic, onion, a bit of turmeric, kala namak (other salt would be fine, too), freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder, and cooked on medium heat for about 10 minutes. I served, along with a little bit of leftover brown rice and tomato.
Results

I was pleased with dinner, but my wife felt that the main course could have had more spice and flavor. She enjoyed it more with a little more salt and hot sauce. I thought that the Piracicaba broccoli was great raw or cooked and, fortunately, I had purchased even more so that we can enjoy it in the next day or two.

Ideas for the future

I hope that I can continue to get Piracicaba broccoli! I'd like to explore it in many ways - raw, lightly cooked on a cast iron pan, charred on a cast iron pan, baked, steamed, and other ways. I thought that the combination of fresh flavors worked great, and will have to spice such dishes more to better delight my wife (my daughter seemed to like the main course). I liked my idea of using "bean gravy" and should try this again, maybe even mixing in flour or bread crumbs.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home