Monday, March 12, 2018

Brown Lentil Dhal with Potato (No Added Fat)

I thought I'd make a brown lentil dhal; lentils cook under pressure in a ratio of 1 to between 1 1/2 and 2 for 15-20 minutes; I wanted a souply dahl so thought I'd go for a 1:3 ratio for 20 minutes. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown lentils
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups Russet (or other) potato cut into larger 1/2" cubes (a medium potato)
  • 1/4 cup onion cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (< 1/8") minced
  • 2 cups carrot cut into 3/8" slices (about 3-4 small carrots)
  • 1 packed cup kale, roughly hand-torn into approximately 1" pieces (stems excepted) and then cut down into approximately quarters via knife
  • 1 cup frozen sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t black salt
  • 1/2 t cumin seeds
  • (optional) small piece of organic Meyer lemon, skin and interior intact
  • Another 1/4 cup onion, this time cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1T lemon juice (I used Meyer lemon juice)
  • (optional) 2 T organic Meyer lemon skin, cut into 1/2" pieces
Process
  1. I put the lentils, water, potato, 1st batch of larger cut onion, garlic, carrot, kale, mushroom, turmeric, salt, cumin seed, and lemon into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 20m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed
  3. When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added the additional 1/4 cup onion, lemon juice, and lemon pieces. 
I was out of brown rice, so used white Jasmine rice on the side, as well as peas and carrots.

Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home