Saturday, February 17, 2018

Fava Bean and Potato Soup (No Added Fat)

I enjoy fava beans but don't find it easy to remove the skins when I cook them. I was recently in a Lebanese restaurant, Neomonde, and found split fava beans, both large and, what I bought, small. I found an appealing sounding fava bean recipe, which inspired me for a soup I made with four times as much water as beans. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups dry small split fava beans, rinsed, soaked overnight, and rinsed again (it ended up being about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 8 cups water (the recipe I referred to used a 1:4 ratio to water, but it wasn't clear if they soaked the beans, so I decided to go with between 6-10 cups and used 7 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups (about half of a large 28 ounce can) canned chopped or diced tomatoes
  • 3 1/4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes cut into approximately 1/2" cubes (4 medium potatoes)
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 3 medium) carrots cut into large 3/4" chunks
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8") minced
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 t cumin seed
  • 1 t fennel seed
  • 4 scallions cut into 1/2" lengths
  • 1/2 t salt
Process
  1. I put the beans, water, tomato, potato, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, cumin seed, and fennel seed into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 10m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the scallions and salt.
I served the soup with whole grain toast, lightly topped with an olive tapenade, then with tomato. I also served fire-roasted corn.

Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Mon Feb 26, 02:47:00 PM EST, Blogger Johanna Stouder, Lecturer said...

This recipe is DELISH!

 
At Mon Feb 26, 03:14:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home