Saturday, March 10, 2018

Potato - Eggplant Jumble (No Added Fat)

I had some friends over and had made a very early dinner for them when my daughter and wife came home, so I had a fun, extended cooking time, launching right into our own dinner. I used pans that I had just used for the earlier meal, so I didn't have extra cleanup. I wanted to get a meal going and served quickly, so decided to make a waterless meal. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8" or so) chopped
  • 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes (just under 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/2 of a small (about 14 1/2 ounce) can of diced tomatoes (i.e., about 7 ounces)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
Process
  1. I put, in this order, the onion, garlic, potato, eggplant, and spinach into a small Saladmaster stock pan; it almost filled the pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  2. I mixed in the diced tomato, salt, and black pepper, and served.
I also made some quinoa (1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, simmered with a vegan bouillon cube, and cooked with edamame and bell pepper). For a salad, I diced tomato and cucumber, and mixed in Meyer lemon, black salt, ground cumin, and freshly ground black pepper.
Results

Dinner was good, but I think my family enjoyed it more than I did. My daughter doesn't like quinoa, so even the small side dish was more than enough for her. Surprisingly, she said that my potato main dish would be a great Thanksgiving dish, but I do think that is way overrated. Unlike when I pressure cook, the eggplant did contribute some flavor, but it wasn't strong.

Ideas for the future

I should try more waterless dishes with potato, and include ingredients like beans or maybe tempeh. I wonder what a vegan cheese sauce might be served atop such a dish, maybe tasting a bit like a "loaded" baked potato. Adding roasted or baked eggplant cubes or slices at the end might also be a nice touch.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home