Monday, April 02, 2018

Whole Wheat Pearled Couscous with Tempeh and Mixed Vegetables (No Added Fat)

We had a Kindergartener friend over for dinner and I thought I'd make a simple whole wheat pearled couscous meal. The couscous is easily made in a ratio of 1 : 1.5 of couscous to water. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 clove garlic finely minced
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pearled cousous
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 1 cup frozen mixed chopped vegetables
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 8 ounce packet of tempeh cut into thin rectangles maybe 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/4"
  • 1/8 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes (I used both red and sweet onions)
  • 1-2 T coconut aminos (or soy sauce or tamari)
  • (optional) 1/2 t dried chives
Process
  1. I dry sauteed the garlic for a minute in a large Saladmaster stock pan with no water or any other item.
  2. I then added the water and couscous, along with the vegetables, bouillon cube, and salt, and brought to a boil.
  3. Once at a boil, I reduced the heat to low and simmered, covered, for 10 minutes.
  4. While the couscous was cooking, I sauteed the tempeh and 2/3 of the onion on a cast iron pan with no oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tempeh was lightly browned (maybe 7-9 minutes).
  5. I then put the tempeh and onion into a bowl, and mixed in the remaining raw onion, coconut aminos, and chives, and kept warm in a toaster oven.
  6. When the couscous was done, I served with the tempeh; for the children, who may not like tempeh, I served with beans.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home