Saturday, November 25, 2017

Grilled Artichoke Hearts with Brussels Sprouts, Baked Beans (No Added Fat)

I have some extra grilled "artihearts" (grilled artichoke hearts) leftover from our glorious Thanksgiving dinner so will be coming up with several meals featuring them. Here is what I did today.


Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup onion cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 2/3 cup frozen mushroom slices
  • 2/3 cup frozen Brussels sprouts
  • 1 6 ounce packet grilled "artihearts" (grilled artichoke hearts; alternately, regular artichoke hearts) cut into approx. 1/2" cubes (a little over a cup)
  • 2/3 cup frozen bell pepper slices (maybe 1 1/4" x 1/4")
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 t garlic powder
  • 1/8 t tarragon
  • 1/8 t fennel seeds
Process
  1. I put, in this order, the onion, mushroom, Brussels sprouts, artichoke, and bell pepper into a large Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, I had my wife start some Madagascar Pink rice.
  3. I mixed in the spices and served the artichoke heart dish with the rice.
My daughter has taken a particular liking to baked beans, so I heated up a can of baked beans and served them along with dinner.

Results

Everybody enjoyed the meal. I think that the main course could have had a little more flavor, but was reasonably tasty.

Ideas for the future

It would be easy to add flavor to the main course. Some roasted garlic would have been good

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home