Thursday, November 30, 2017

Grilled Artichoke Hearts with Baby Lima Beans, Plantains, and Quinoa (No Added Fat)

I made a simple waterless main course with two tablespoons of onion cut into 3/8" cubes, 1 clove garlic finely (1/8") chopped, 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, and 6 ounces of grilled "artihearts" put, in that order, into a Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 15 minutes. I mixed in 1/4 t kala namak ("black salt", but other salt could be used), 1/4 t dried tarragon, and 1/8 t garlic powder, then served with plantains cooked on a cast iron pan with no oil, as well as quinoa.

Results

Dinner was good! The artichoke-lima bean combination was better than I expected. I sometimes add turmeric to quinoa and did so today, but I used more turmeric than usual - not enough to make it bitter, but enough to add a nice, stronger flavor to the quinoa.

Ideas for the future

I should explore more artichoke flavor combinations. I bet artichokes with potato and leeks, for example, would be good!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home