Sunday, January 03, 2016

Giant Peruvian Lima Beans with Corn and Bell Pepper, served with Bhutanese Red Rice with Kale (No Added Fat)


Ingredients
  • 1 cup Giant Peruvian lima beans
  • Ample (maybe 1 1/2 cups) boiling water to cover the beans
  • Water (boiling or not) to just cover the beans (just under a cup or so)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1 cup bell pepper cut into approx. 1/4" x 3/4" slices
  • 1 cup corn (I used frozen flame-roasted corn)
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/8 t dried oregano
  • 1T nutritional yeast
  • 2T fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
Process
  1. I asked my wife to soak the lima beans in boiling water while I was out doing an errand.
  2. The beans had soaked for a little over 2 hours when I rinsed them and then put them, along with the additional 3/4 cup water and bouillon cube, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 28m.
  3. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the bell pepper and corn. I would have been done, but I used frozen vegetables, so turned the pressure cooker on for an additional minute of low pressure cooking.
  4. When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added onion, salt, oregano, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice.
I also made Bhutanese Red rice (ratio of 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water, along with a vegan bouillon cube, simmered for 20m, but I usually use a 1 : 1 3/4 ratio) with a little kale. I served the beans with the rice, as well as slices of cucumber atop which I sprinkled salt and garlic powder.
Results

We all enjoyed dinner. Giant Peruvian lima beans are so creamy and tasty, as well as being so easy to prepare.

Ideas for the future

I really like the combination of nutritional yeast with the Giant Peruvian lima beans. Some ginger may also be good, as well as a bit of jalapeno or other hot pepper. Greens like mustard, chard, or kale would be good, as well.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home