Thursday, June 18, 2015

Green Split Pea with Kale and Sweet Potato with a Touch of Orange (No Added Fat)

Yesterday, I delivered meals to a client and included what turned out to be an excellent dish, green split pea dhal with Japanese sweet potato and a touch of Pixie tangerine. Split peas are so easy and tasty to cook with; basically, after being rinsed, they take a 1 part split pea to 3 part water ratio and are cooked for 8-10m. I decided to make this dish for my family, but also to use some greens. I was out of the so-tasty Pixie tangerines (I had used a bit of their juice and their pulp), but used fresh-squeezed Valencia orange juice, instead. Here is what I did:

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup split peas (I had green split peas and used them, but yellow would be fine)
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup orange or tangerine juice
  • 1 1/2 compressed cups kale, stems excepted (I used 3 leaves), and roughly hand-torn to approximately 1/2" squares
  • 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into approx. 1/2" cubes (I used my favorite, the white-fleshed Japanese sweet potato)
  • 1 T finely (1/8") diced ginger
  • Approx. 3/4 t coarse ground salt (or to taste)

Process
  1. I had meant to start by rinsing the split peas several times, but forgot
  2. I put all the ingredients except the salt into the Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 9 minutes under high pressure.
  3. When the pressure cooker was done, I let it sit for a few minutes, slowly let out the remaining pressure, and carefully opened the pot.
  4. I sprinkled here and there the salt in the plates and served (I wanted coarse salt non-uniformly distributed to get nice salty morsels in most but not necessarily all mouthfuls)
We had also picked up some fresh bagels, which I served.

Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home