Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Stew with Greens and Undertone of Pear, served with Madagascar Pink Rice with Broccoli (No Added Fat)
As I described earlier this week, I've been thinking of cooking with pears in the pressure cooker. I had some leftover pumpkin from that earlier meal, and used it for tonight's dinner.
- 2 cups pumpkin (ours was organic, so we left the skin on), cut into 3/4" cubes
- 1 cup onion (approximately half of a medium onion) cut into 1/4" x 1" half moons
- I had wanted to use a packed cup of kale leaves (stems removed) chopped into maybe 1/2" squares, but only had 3 leaves - I used the 3 leaves but also used a cup of spinach
- Medium sweet potato cut into 1/4" cubes (1 cup)
- 1 medium pear (a firm and ideally not yet quite ripe one - I used an anjou, but a bosc would have worked well, too) cut into 1/4" cubes (approx. 1 cup)
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/3 cup water
- Approx. 1/4 t salt
- Approx. 1/4 t dried oregano
I put all of the ingredients into my Instant Pot. I have never used the timer feature and actually put the ingredients in a few hours before dinner, and had it start after two hours (timing is not so critical as the unit goes into a keep-warm mode once done) and then run for 3 minutes under high pressure. Then I served - simple! I also made a Madagascar Pink rice dish with onion and small pieces of broccoli.
I'd like to explore more dishes with pear as a side note - and, for that matter, other fruits, like perhaps Asian pear, banana, or kiwi. Tonight's meal was a winner!