Monday, June 09, 2014

Waterless Baby Portabella Medley, Tempeh with Mâche Rosettes, Jade Pearl Rice with Zucchini

My Dad is home from the hospital! It was not a surprise that the doctors recommended a diet like we eat - low-sodium and low-fat, though he has to also be careful of acidic foods. On our way home, my wife made a simple lentil soup (dhal) for him. I wanted to make a mushroom waterless dish for us. This is what I did.

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces baby portabello mushroom cut into halves
  • Medium Vidalia (or other) onion cut into thick 1/2" half moons
  • Half medium zucchini, cut into 3/8" slices and then halved
  • 24 green beans, ends trimmed off
  • Seasoning (see notes below)

Process

  1. I put all of the ingredients into my 3 quart Saladmaster pan, covered the pan, and set the heat to medium high (as usual, I forgot to first preheat the pan, but that doesn't seem to be critical)
  2. As soon as the vapor lock started rattling, meaning that the natural liquid from the vegetables was starting to steam, I reduced the heat to low so that there was no more rattling
  3. I cooked for 20m, covered, then served
  4. I had failed to season, but really should have put in a bit of salt and maybe some herbs like oregano
I also sauteed some tempeh with red onion bulb and shiitake mushroom without oil, mixed in a bowl with mâche rosettes, hot sauce (since my daughter and father weren't eating this), and coconut aminos, and served as a side dish. Some Jade pearl rice with a bit of onion and the other half of the zucchini, cubed into 3/8" cubes, that I had first sauteed completed the meal.

Results

The main dish was a bit too bland. I like the waterless cooking idea, but should have had additional flavor in the vegetables, such as including maybe beet or carrot, as well as seasoning. The tempeh dish was good and we love Jade pearl rice. My Dad liked his simple dhal and crackers; I look forward to seeing his appetite grow.

Ideas for the future

I need to be sure that I use especially flavorful vegetables when cooking waterlessly, or mixing the finished vegetables with something crunchy (like raw vegetable shavings) or otherwise textured (maybe seitan).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home