Monday, September 24, 2012

Southern Style Collard Greens with Lime-Marinated Jerked Seitan

I had a bunch of collard greens that I wanted to use up, and found an interesting sounding recipe for Southern-style collards. I followed its basic approach, but did this:

In a stock pot with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat, I sauteed three scallions cut into 3/4" lengths, along with one garlic clove, finely chopped
  1. About two minutes into the saute as the scallion softened, I added half of an orange bell pepper, cut into large strips maybe 1" x 1/2", as well as two carrots, sliced into 1/2" thickness
  2. After another two or three minutes, when the carrot was a bit softened (the heightened colors of the cooked vegetables looked great!), I added 1/2 t cumin seeds and, a few at a time, collard greens (I removed the bottom portion of the stem and cut across the leaf to make cuts about 1 1/2" apart)
  3. I added a little salt, maybe 1/2 t, to help the greens to cook down, and let the greens cook for just a minute or so
  4. I then added a vegan bouillon cube and three cups of water, brought to a boil, then reduced the heat to keep the pot at a simmer; I cooked, covered for about a half hour, till the collard greens were soft (about halfway through, the leftover lime juice marinade from the seitan - see below - was available, so I poured it in and stirred, then re-covered the stock pot)
  5. I sprinkled on a little bit of herbed salt, and served (the recipe I referenced also called for tomato, but I wanted to keep the rich greens, though a little bit of tomato sauce sounded tempting)
While the collards were cooking, I made one of our favorite side dishes, lime-marinated jerked seitan. I took a box of seitan and marinated it in the juice of one lime for about 20m. Reserving the marinade (and using it as above in the collard dish), I put the seitan in a cast iron pan and sauteed till gently browned and some smaller pieces crispy. I added a little bit of herbed salt and served that to my toddler and saved some for her lunch for school for tomorrow. For the remaining portion for my wife and I, I added a little bit of jerk seasoning.

The seitan was, as always, delicious! My wife and I in particular, but even my toddler, really liked the collard greens. The dish was tasty and nutritious. I saved the broth and will use it in the coming days for another dish. Yum!

3 Comments:

At Tue Sep 25, 02:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger Val said...

Looks yummy!

 
At Tue Sep 25, 04:35:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Val!

 
At Wed Sep 26, 01:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger Val said...

You're welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home