Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mushroom Burger, Sweet Potato Frites, Carnival Squash

I didn't need to grocery shop today, but finished interviewing somebody (I am an alum interviewer for high school students applying to several universities that I attended) and briefly stopped by Whole Foods Market to get tofu. In this week's cooking class, we are using tofu, and it helps to freeze the water-packed (not the shelf-stable type) tofu then defrost it; it adds to the texture and helps the tofu to pick up additional flavor. Anyway, while I was there, I saw that they were selling a new item in their prepared foods area, portabella mushroom burgers. I picked two up.

Yesterday at Trader Joe's, they were sampling these tasty sweet potato fries ("sweet potato frites") - the sampling convinced me, and I brought home a bag. So, dinner tonight was a baked carnival squash, the frites, the burger on whole wheat bread with a slice of Green Zebra heirloom tomato and mustard, and chickpeas. I much preferred yesterday's meal but still today's was simple and pretty good!

4 Comments:

At Mon Mar 03, 05:32:00 PM EST, Blogger Stuti Garg said...

I like baked squash.

Nice pic. looks yummy.

Thanks.

 
At Mon Mar 03, 11:29:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Stuti. Let's resurrect sometime our thoughts on writing a book together. I'm glad that you're also blogging now! --Dilip

 
At Thu Mar 06, 05:39:00 PM EST, Blogger Analiese said...

These frites passed the kid test in my house with flying colors. I think they need a little spicing up for adults, but they are the best frozen sweet potato fries I've ever tried. It's hard to get that crunch on homemade unless you deep fry them.

 
At Thu Mar 06, 10:58:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Yes, Analiese, I loved the frites. I wouldn't have even noticed them but for the fact that Trader Joe's had somebody giving samples away. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home