Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Roasted Golden and Red Tomato Pizza, Yukon Gold Potatoes

I enjoy a simple and so-tasty way of making pizza that I understand is closer to the original pizza - no sauce or cheese! What I do is overlap slices of roma tomatoes on a crust, put a little dried oregano and olive oil on top, and oven bake (400-450°F) for 8-10 minutes till the tomato melts into a sauce. No toppings then - just some fresh basil leaves!


Today I used a new "Great Grains" organic Rustic Crust brand pizza shell and a twist on my simple recipe. I used red and golden roasted tomatoes, and didn't overlap them. I baked at 450°F for about 8 minutes, topped with basil leaves fresh from my garden, and served (my wife and I finished it off, each enjoying two pieces).

I also served English Peas and some delicious Yukon Gold Potatoes. I forgot how tasty these potatoes can be! I simply boiled them till they were just cooked, maybe 8-10 minutes. I halved the potatoes and mixed in Earth Balance margarine, fresh rosemary, dried dill weed, paprika, salt, and ground flaxseed (for the nutrition; I didn't notice much of its taste in the dish).

By the way, today in classes 2 of 5 of my after-school teaching for about thirty 5-11 year-old children, I asked the children to think about what foods they might like to take when they hike. We made custom mixes of trail mix out of coconut, dried cranberries, walnuts, raisins, and dried bananas. We checked our mung bean sprouts - they are growing bigger and have some white exposed under the skins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home