Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's been a long time since I've cooked! My oral surgery recovery was such that I was still having significant pain until just a day or two ago, and I have been relying on cream of wheat for breakfasts and mashed potatoes for dinner. Tonight, I made some simple boiled rice noodles with Thai peanut sauce, creamy peanut butter, and hot sauce mixed in. My wife has been tiding herself over. But I think that tomorrow or Wednesday I should be able to start cooking and enjoying food again!

I did want to report on an exciting new purchase that I made last week, a traditional 13.5" polished steel paella pan that is described as being large enough for serving 3-4 people. Paella is a traditional Spanish rice dish made from rice, olive oil, and saffron, along with vegetables (or non-vegetarian fare) that is cooked in a wide and shallow pan. The vegetables are first stir fried, rice added, then vegetable broth added and brought to a boil, then the heat is reduced and brought to a simmer till the rice is cooked. With the heat turned off, the pan is covered for a few minutes before serving.

I can't wait to try my hand at it! I also purchased some interesting spice rubs, and will try them with seitan, tempeh, and vegetables.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jul 10, 02:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Paisley said...

Glad to see you are on the mend.
The Mushrooms and Tempeh with Thai Jasmine Rice that I made was great, when I opened my tempeh it had spoiled so I wasn't able to use that, and I had to use botton mushrooms. It was still really good and I will remake it when I have all the ingredients. The rice was a huge hit and my son finished off every bit of it. Thanks for the recipes.

 
At Tue Jul 10, 02:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, paisley, for the comment. I'm glad that the dish came out so well! You know, tempeh has natural culture and sometimes a discoloration is not a problem. If you see dark colored spots, they are usually fine, but you can always just remove that section as well, if you wish. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home