Thursday, April 05, 2007

Zucchini with Olives, Smoky Tempeh

We ate out with friends last night at Xiloa Nicaraguan Restaurant near Duke University. We like their variety of vegan selections and their delicious fresh juices. The dish that my wife ordered (guiso, I think), came with rice that had olive slices and capers mixed in - tasty!

That gave me an idea for tonight's dinner. I was very sleepy as I only had three hours sleep last night, squeezing in photographing an event and a portraiture in two days with other pressing items, so wanted to make something easy. I had the idea to simply saute thickly (a little larger than 1/4") sliced zucchini for a few minutes till very slightly brown, then mix in thickly sliced olives stuffed with jalapenos. I served that on brown basmati rice. I sauteed some tempeh, then drizzled on some vegan "liquid smoke", as a side dish. I liked dinner but my wife needed some more seasoning on the zucchini; a little bruschetta topping did the trick for her.

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 06, 09:11:00 AM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

Looks good!
Zucchinis look great,Brown Basmati sauteed with onions, turmeric, and tomato, is something I love....with fresh homemade yogurt on top! ever tried that? even better is some of that rice mashed with a ripe avocado, little olive oil and salt and pepper....delish!

 
At Fri Apr 06, 02:20:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Trupti, for your comment. Your idea sounds good, perhaps with soy yogurt or maybe some freshly diced tomatoes. Rice and avocado is something I hadn't thought of before! Interesting idea! Thanks. --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home