Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Kale-Eggplant-Cashew Satay, Grilled Organic Bi-Color Corn Off-the-Cob

I had to use up the peanut satay sauce not used from Friday. What I did was saute in canola oil half of a large onion, cut into thin half moons, then halved again. A minute or so after adding the onions, I put in thinly (maybe 1/4") sliced eggplant, skin intact. Several minutes later, I added yellow squash, also sliced thinly, as well as asparagus cut into 1" segments, as well as coarsely hand-shredded red kale leaves, diced jalapeno, and diced ginger. As the kale cooked down over about 5 minutes, I added raw cashews for another few minutes, being careful that the cashews didn't burn. I then removed from the heat, mixed in the satay sauce, mung bean sprouts, and salt, and served.

I also made some rice. I was excited at the store today to find organic bi-color corn, so grilled three ears on my gas range, stripped the kernels, and mixed in fresh lemon juice, salt, and three thinly sliced scallions.





Yesterday, we ate out. I was busy in the garden, fertilizing and then mowing the lawn. Before we knew it, it was after 9p (tonight was another unusually late dinner with us both out till after 9) and I needed some groceries for breakfast this morning, so we made a quick trip to the grocery store then had pizza at a sports bar downtown called Satisfaction that is supposed to have excellent pizza.

They were very accomodating to make a cheeseless pizza and cut it with a clean cutter, but I found the pizza only to be somewhat middling. The crust was thin, as I usually prefer it, but some cornmeal that can be used to help the dough slide out of the oven would have added a nice grittiness. The sauce was too lightly coated, but the biggest issue was the toppings, which were mediocre. Granted, we were one of their last orders of the day and they expect people to try the pizzas with cheese; I might be willing to try them again.

We have a friend in town from South Florida on business; she flew in today and we weren't sure if she would be joining us for dinner tonight, but it turns out she couldn't - but we're seeing her tomorrow night. As much as I'd love to cook for her (and three friends that she's bringing along), I am photographing an event and want to maximize her time so that I can show them Duke Gardens and Chapel Hill/Carrboro, so we're likely going out to Xiloa in Durham for Nicaraguan food.

3 Comments:

At Tue Apr 03, 08:57:00 AM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

Eggplant along with all the other veggies in a peanut sauce....what a lovely combo..I love that bi-color corn..must look for it when the weather warms up...

trupti

 
At Tue Apr 03, 09:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger FH said...

Dinner looks great Dilip.

YUP!! we started all that mowing etc too.I don't step out until mid June but my husband Arvind does all that:)

Part of Spring and summer chores.Grass grows so fast,we have to mow it every weekend!

 
At Tue Apr 03, 01:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, trupti. The sauce was quite good. In my Thai cooking class, I give my students a recipe for making their own base curry sauces, but this ready-made bottle is good and, of course, easy. I love preparing corn in this manner.

Thanks, asha, for your comment. I purchased a fig tree yesterday for my garden!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home