Beet and Butternut Squash with Kale and Seitan (No Added Fat)
- Medium sized golden beet, peeled and chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup of (frozen, but fresh is even better - I don't like cutting and peeling winter squashes) butternut squash in 1/2" - 3/4" cubes
- 1 carrot cut into 3/8" slices (oops, I forgot to add this!)
- 3 kale leaves, stems discarded (composted) and leaves roughly hand torn to approximately 3/4" pieces
- 1/4 t salt
- 1t of chopped ginger
- (optional) 1t of chopped jalapeno
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 medium onion cut into approximately 1/4" x 3/4" half moons (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces (half of a 8 ounce packet) of seitan strips
- 4 finely chopped basil leaves
- 1t jerk seasoning (a mixture of hot pepper, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and thyme)
- Butternut squash takes 8-10 minutes to cook; whole beets take 11-13 (small root) or 20-25 (large root) minutes; and onions slices (and cubes?) take only 2-3 minutes to cook in my Instant Pot under high pressure. I decided to cut the beets as listed above and use raw onions after the cooking, then cook for 9 minutes. So, I put the beet, squash, (missing carrot!), kale, salt, ginger, jalapeno, bouillon cube, and water into my Instant Pot and cooked on high pressure for 9 minutes.
- When I was ready to serve, I let out any remaining pressure then mixed in the onion, seitan, basil, and jerk seasoning.