Monday, June 23, 2014

Kale, Broccoli, and Corn with Seitan (Waterless, No Added Fat)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 head of kale, roughly hand cut into approximately 1" squares with stems discarded (composted)
  • 1/2 sweet (or other) onion cut into 3/8" half moon slices
  • 1/2 cup broccoli florets
  • Kernels stripped from an ear of corn
  • 1 Carrot cut into 3/8" slices
  • 1/2 of an 8 ounce package (i.e., 4 ounces) of seitan strips

Process
  1. I wanted to make a waterless meal in my large 3 quart Salad Master stock pot. I always seem to forget, but I should have preheated the pan. I didn't and started by just adding all the ingredients, quickly mixing, covering, and turning the pan on medium high.
  2. After maybe 5-7 minutes, enough steam built up so that the vapor lock on top started to jiggle.
  3. As soon as I heard the jiggling noise, I reduced the heat to low so that there was no jiggle, and cooked, still uncovered and undisturbed, for about a half hour. A nice thing about the slow low-heat cooking of this approach is that time is not so important; it probably would have been done in 20m and I could actually have left it going for much longer - since the pan is sealed, the nutrients are preserved.
  4. I served with a pickled small red pepper on top, along with some cucumber slices and hemp seeds.
Results

It was good! I chose not to add any hot sauce, but some may enjoy both a bit of salt (and maybe some oregano) and some hot sauce. The seitan probably would have been even more flavorful if it were put in just a few minutes before serving, just to warm and not further cook, or, better, if it was marinated and sauteed separately, like in my lime marinated jerk seitan. The corn was good - I've never slow-cooked corn, and enjoyed the intensified flavor of the corn.

Ideas for the future

My family is away for a few weeks in India; I should make this dish when they return. As is, I think my daughter may like it. Adding lime marinated jerk seitan would probably be welcome by my wife and me.

Another thought on this dish, though it would now be "almost no added fat", is to add just a bit of peanut butter and hot sauce. That would give it a Thai taste, and maybe some red curry paste in addition would be good. This dish may also be good with some lentils. Adding a bit of fresh onion at the end would probably be good.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home