Monday, January 27, 2014

Shiitake Mushroom, Broccoli, and Italian Seitan cooked with Jade Pearl Rice


Ingredients
  • 1/4 onion cut in 1/4" cubes
  • 8-10 shiitake mushrooms cut into thick 1/2" slices
  • 1/2 cup broccoli florets
  • 1c Jade Pearl Rice
  • 1 1/2 c water
  • 1 vegan bouillon cube (optional but recommended)
  • 6 ounces of ground seitan (I like Upton's Italian seitan, but only can find it at one local store so don't often have it in stock - but I did today!)
  • (optional) 1t nutritional yeast per plate (more or less to taste)
Process

  1. In a stainless steel pan with no added fat, I added the onion and started gently dry sauteeing, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes over medium heat
  2. As the onion cleared in color, I added the mushroom and cooked for another 2 minutes or so till the mushroom cooked down a little and the onion was just starting to carmelize
  3. I then added the water, rice, broccoli, and bouillon cube, brought to a boil over medium-high, then covered the pan and simmered on low heat for 20m (Jade Pearl cookes in a 1:1.5 ratio over 20m)
  4. I added the seitan, stirred, and let the mixture sit, covered, with heat off for several minutes (just to heat the seitan)
  5. I served, sprinkling some nutritional yeast on top and offering hot sauce at the table
Results

I recently discovered (actually, I forgot but first used this last May) this creamy rice and find that it comes out creamy and reminiscent of risotto. This dinner was indeed quite tasty!

Ideas for the future

I wonder if this might be even better with a mild gravy. Perhaps I could puree some dilute miso, mustard, and maybe carrot and serve with a dollop of the gravy atop the rice. The dish does not need additional moisture, but some additional flavor surprises may be fun. My wife doesn't eat tofu, which bothers her digestion, but a baked or otherwise firm tofu, or tempeh (no need to saute but just add near the end as with seitan in today's version) would be good as part of the dish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home