Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vegan Sausage and Zucchini on Bun, Fingerling Potatoes; Strawberry Sorbet

I was planning on getting the grill out and enjoying making some food on the deck, but we had a strong downpour of rain this evening. I recently picked up a new product, Qrunch quinoa-based burgers (soy- and wheat- free), and am anxious to try them.

My daughter has a friend visiting down the street, and I had hoped that that girl and her grandparents might come for dinner tonight or tomorrow, but it seems that may not happen. In preparation, I had picked up good vegan buns (for some reason, many buns appear not to be vegan, whether because they contain strange-sounding ingredients that may be animal derived or because they explicitly state that they have dairy or egg products in them) from Weaver Street Market. So that they don't spoil, I wanted to use some today and perhaps the rest maybe just for my own family when we try the quinoa burgers soon.

So, my constraints were to prepare a meal with buns, but not use the quinoa burgers in hopes that better weather is coming and perhaps our friends will join us. I decided to use just a little bit of oil in my cast iron pan to brown and cook two vegan apple-sage sausages, onion, and zucchini. I served that on the warmed bun. I also boiled some halved locally grown fingerling potatoes and served that with some herbs. Dinner was good!

By the way, I made a tasty "ice cream" (really, sorbet) after dinner. I put in my Vitamix blender maybe 2 cups of organic frozen strawberries that we had recently picked, juice of one lime, a few tablespoons of maple syrup, about a dozen mint leaves, and an eighth of a lemon, seeded but otherwise inclusive of skin and all. It comes out so tart, creamy, and delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home