Friday, May 31, 2013

Tempeh and Carrot with Mexican Green Sauce, Corn-off-the-Cob (Almost No Added Fat)

We were going to an outdoor concert and trying to decide whether to take a picnic, buy food there, or have an early dinner and enjoy fruit at the picnic; I opted for the final choice as we have a number of upcoming occasions where we will be eating out.

My wife claims not to like Mexican food. I had some Good Food brand Mexican Green Sauce in my pantry. It's a simmer sauce with tomatillas, water, onions, canola oil (therefore almost no added fat - the sauce only contributes a gram of fat per 2T sauce, and I used maybe 5T of the sauce for the whole dish), poblano and jalapeno peppers, chiles, garlic, and a few other ingredients. I made a simple dish with cooking in my saute pan with no added fat onion, tempeh, and carrot, then simmering in the sauce.

I had some corn-off-the-cob and put in just a little Earth Balance margarine, a touch of salt, and a little lime juice. Tomato slices finished off the plate.

I didn't serve this (slightly) spicy dish to my preschooler, but my wife and I enjoyed it. My wife is open to my making a Mexican-style tortilla dish with this sauce as an ingredient, and I hope to do that in the coming days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home