Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Coconut Curry Tempeh with Quinoa and Greens


I occasionally buy a nice marinated tempeh, as I did today. I was thinking of cooking it today and took inspiration from the picture on the packet, which showed the tempeh mixed in with rice. I had already started baking some potatoes (that's one thing that my Dad, in the midst of teeth problems and visiting us for a short while, can chew) so thought that I'd use something other than a

Ingredients
  • One 7 ounce package of coconut curry marinated tempeh; it comes in strips, which I cut in thirds width-wise (an alternate using regular tempeh is to slice 7 ounces of tempeh into approximately 1/4" x 1" x 1" cubes and marinate with a little turmeric, ground cumin, ginger, and, as below, tamari or coconut aminos)
  • 1/8 Yellow or sweet onion, cut into 1/4" cubes
  • Approximately 1/8 cup bell pepper, cut into 1/4" cubes (I used several kinds of bell pepper, including baby purple and orange, and a regular red)
  • 1T reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce or, what I used and what I much prefer, coconut aminos
  • (Optional) 1t grated coconut
  • 1t fresh herbs - one of lemon sage (what I used), oregano, or basil
  • 2/3 cup quinoa and 1 1/3 cup water (and a vegan bouillon cube, but I was out of these, alas)
  • Approximately 1/2 cup mixed greens suitable for cooking, such as spinach and kale, washed (I used a pre-washed collection of greens including chard, tatsoi, arugula, and spinach)
Process
  1. In my Saladmaster saute pan, I put in the onion and started sauteeing, stirring occasionally, on medium heat for about three or four minutes till the onion was just getting clear but not carmelized
  2. I added the tempeh and continued cooking, still stirring occasionally, for another three or four minutes; the tempeh should now show a little browning
  3. While the tempeh was cooking, I put the quinoa and twice as much water into a stock pot, along with the greens; I would have added the vegan bouillon cube, too, if I had it in stock. I brought this to a boil then cooked on medium for six or so minutes, then let it continue to cook with no more heat till the liquid was absorbed and the quinoa showed its characteristic spiral
  4. When the tempeh was ready from the step before last, I added to it the bell pepper, stirred a few times, then, about a half minute later, added the coconut aminos (the coconut aminos, as I stirred, cleared up any minor sticking on the pan)
  5. Once the liquid was absorbed in just two minutes or so, I took the pan off the heat, mixed in the coconut and herbs, and transferred and mixed into the stock pot
I served this with a baked potato and with tomato slices topped with hemp seeds.

Results

I loved the dish - what a good combination. My wife thought that it was good but could use something like a little bit of sauce, but, to my palate, the curry flavors work well as I prepared the dish here. My four-year-old daughter liked the dish but added ketchup!

Ideas for the future

I'd love to make more tempeh dishes mixed with grains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home