Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Thai Coconut Galangal Mixed Vegetables

We got home in the evening after exercising and I had a desire to make a Thai dish (an out-of-state friend celebrating a birthday was going to a Thai restaurant, and that triggered it!), but I didn't want to take a long time because it was getting late. I would have enjoyed making some Thai noodles, but we were out - and there wasn't enough time to make brown rice.

Luckily, I had a bottle of Thai coconut galangal stir-fry sauce. For the noodles, I had some ramen noodles, which served as a quick side.

Over medium-high heat, I sauteed five or six little round Yukon Gold potatoes, quatered. As the potato started getting cooked (after about 5-7 minutes), I added seitan (not enough! I only had maybe 1/8 tub, but would have liked a half or full tub, sliced thickly - since I had so little, I cut it into smaller pieces to spread out) and half of a medium onion diced into pieces maybe 1/4-1/2" in size. A few minutes later, I put in two large handfuls of oyster mushrooms, roughly cut so that each mushroom segment was halved.

A minute or so later, I added about 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger, about 1/8 large bell pepper cut into thick halved slices, and a few broccoli florets. Once the broccoli became deep green in about two minutes, I added a few tablespoons of cashews; I had hoped to use raw, but we only had a little bit of chopped raw cashews; I added them, as well as roasted ones. I cooked just for another half minute or so, then added about 4 ounces of the sauce and simmered just for a minute or two, then served with the ramen noodles, topped with sesame seeds, and some tomato (I wish I had cucumber). It was good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home