Saturday, September 18, 2010

Arroz con Gluten de Trigo, Avocado, Grape Tomato

I had some scouting to do for a photographic job I have this coming week, and it was a bit late when we got home. I had recently picked up an interesting rice mix by a company called Nueva Cocina that one need only add browned "chicken" (I used a tub of seitan, cut into large, thin sections, maybe 2" x 1" x 3/8"), water, and wine to. It was the ticket for tonight's meal!

Arroz con Pollo ("rice with chicken") is a traditional Latin American dish and the national dish of Puerto Rico. It is rice cooked with "chicken", vegetables, herbs, and saffron. I don't know Spanish, but when I looked up online "wheat gluten", I found "gluten de trigo", so named my dish Arroz con Gluten d Trigo.

In a medium saucepan, I sauteed in a little olive oil an 8 ounce tub of seitan. Once browned, I added 2 1/4 cups of liquid - mostly water but maybe 1/4 cup of red merlot wine (the instructions suggested a white wine), along with the mix, which included Valencia style medium rice, peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, spices, and saffron.

I brought the rice-herb-seitan mixture to a boil, then covered the pan and reduced heat to a simmer. I let it cook for about 25 minutes and knew it was done then when I removed the cover and fluffed, since the moisture was absorbed and the rice was cooked.

I served the rice with some seitan and grape tomatoes. My wife and I quite liked the rice! I'd like to try some variants, such as by integrating baby spinach and roasted garlic, and maybe even some other sauteed vegetables.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home