Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Mafaldine Pasta with Mushroom and Wine Sauce and Vegan Savory Mushroom Meatballs

We have had my wife's lovely niece from Wisconsin visiting since last weekend. She's a vegetarian, aspiring to be vegan, and is a model 16-year-old - just delightful to be around. She is helping to take care of our daughter and seems to be having a great time!

Tonight, I tried cooking Mafaldine (also known as Riccia or Reginette) pasta, a flat ribbon pasta about a half inch wide with one or two rippled edges. It was named in honor of Princess Mafalda of Savoy, according to wikipedia. I had purchased an imported pasta package, Il Vecchio Pastificio di Gragnano 'e Mafaldine. Preparing this semolina wheat pasta simply took nine minutes of boiling.

I also purchased a sauce new to me from Bove's of Vermont, their Mushroom and Wine sauce. It was an excellent sauce! I heated it slowly, adding about half of a bell pepper cut into 1/4" cubes, a few teaspoonfuls of crushed red pepper, a bit of salt, some quartered olives, and Nate's Savory Mushroom vegan "meatballs". (Since the "meatballs" are derived from soy which, other than fermented soy products, my wife avoids, I served her pasta with tempeh mixed in to the sauce instead.) As the pasta neared completion, I added to the sauce in its remaining two or so minutes of simmering maybe 1/4 teaspoonful of fresh oregano leaves from my garden, and 8-10 squirts of roasted garlic juice spray, which is another new product for me (I picked it up last week).

Dinner was rounded out with a poppy seed bagle half and some cucumber. Everybody liked dinner!

Speaking of cucumber, I often use fresh ground black pepper in my cooking, but several months ago, my grinder stopped working. I finally got a new one very recently - it's so good to have my fresh black pepper again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home