Monday, October 08, 2007

Broccoli di Cicco with Purple Asparagus, Yellow Baby Carrots, and Mashed Potatoes

It was about a year ago that I discovered broccoli di Cicco, an Heirloom sweet type of broccoli which is entirely edible. I cut about half of a package of tempeh into 1/4" or so slices, then, perpendicularly, divided these slices into thirds. I sauteed, in Greek extra virgin olive oil, the tempeh with about half of a small onion that I had cut into approximately 3/8" cubes. When the onion started becoming clear and the tempeh browned to a medium color (not fully golden brown, a total of maybe 6-8 minutes over medium-high heat), I added stalks of broccoli di Cicco and sauteed for about 3 more minutes, letting the tempeh get golden brown and the broccoli di Cicco not get overcooked, but simply turn a vibrant green. I then put in a few tablespoonfuls of organic Baja Lime marinade, a little salt, and maybe 1/8 teaspoonful of chili powder, stirred for half a minute or so, and served.

I also had baby yellow carrots, mashed potatoes, and purple asparagus. To keep the lovely purple color, I parboiled the spears of asparagus by putting them into boiling water for barely a minute, then plunging the spears into cold water (I didn't have ice, so cold tap water had to do). It was a good dinner!




This morning, I had to wake up very early as I was a guest on a television station. A local group, Humane Carolina, had inspired them to air a story on the connection between diet and environment, and asked if I'd be the spokesperson. The group arranged food to bring to let station staff try, including the woman who tried the food during her interview with me. I haven't seen the footage, but think it went okay, though it was so short, I didn't get a chance to mention our upcoming Thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

At Tue Oct 09, 03:26:00 PM EDT, Blogger Kumudha said...

Delicious vegan fare.

 
At Tue Oct 09, 03:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your comment. I was delighted to read your blog! Keep up your great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home