Sunday, April 08, 2007

Quinoa Soup, Indonesian Sate Vegetables, Guacamole

I'm going through a short period where we are eating out significantly. Yesterday, my Mom invited us to enjoy some of her homemade pizza, which she hasn't made in a while. On Thursday, I was helping a vegetarian society friend with ideas for his new Six Sigma business and was treated to a nice dinner of homemade bread, salad, and a delicious stew of lentils, potatoes, and kale (I'll try something like this in my slow cooker); they also served some tasty raw dessert, spheres formed by nuts and frozen organic berries, with flaked coconut on the outsides.

Tonight, I heated leftover Indonesian Sate Vegetables from last Friday. I was going to make a nice heirloom red quinoa dish by sauteeing briefly some scallions and red bell pepper chunks, along with maybe 1/2 teaspoon cumin in the last half minute, then adding quinoa and water in a 1:2 ratio, along with a vegan bouillon cube and a little salt, fresh rosemary, and chili powder. I brought it to an uncovered boil and then lowered the heat to a simmer for about 5 minutes, then removed it from the heat and let it sit, covered, for about 10 minutes. I must have added too much water as it was quite liquidy - but the telltale spiral in the quinoa grain was showing off its doneness, verified by my tasting it. It tasted great and the broth was very good, so I served it as a soup!

The salad included heirloom tomatoes and baby white carrots. I made guacamole (my students will be making guacamole and a quinoa dish, among others, in Tuesday's Mexican cooking class) as well - my secret is adding some rosemary. We enjoyed the dinner!

2 Comments:

At Sun Apr 08, 02:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

That soup looks so good...and that plate is so full of Spring colors...its lovely. I have yet to try Quinoa, I see it all the time at my local grocers, but have never attempted it...I should try the Soup version to start...I love such textures in soups.

 
At Sun Apr 08, 11:57:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Trupti. Quinoa is a great food to keep on hand with a nutritional profile closely matching what we need. It's easy to cook with and has a nice, nutty taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home