Thursday, January 02, 2020

Black-Eyed Peas with Brussels Sprouts (New Year's Hoppin' John inspiration), Baked Potato, Guacamole (No Added Fat, Gluten-Free)

Happy 2020! It's tradition in the south of the U.S. to start the new year with Hoppin' John. We ate out on New Year's Day due to schedule issues, so this was our first home dinner of the year and, while I didn't make a traditional Hoppin' John, I made a main course inspired by it.

I did a waterless black-eyed pea dish. I put into a Saladmaster stock pan, in this order, chopped onion (and I would have put in a clove or two of garlic if I wasn't out; I did have garlic greens, which I added later), fresh black-eyed peas, Brussels sprouts cut into approximately 1/4" cubes, bell pepper, garam masala, turmeric, kala namak (black salt), and freshly ground black pepper, as well as a few tablespoonfuls of stewed tomato. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes, then I mixed in some lemon juice and salt.

I also made (10 minutes under pressure in my Instant Pot pressure cooker) baked potato. I mixed avocado with lemon juice, onion, garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and served this guacamole atop a lettuce leave. An optional (not gluten-free) garlic cracker/chip topped the guacamole.

Results

We all enjoyed dinner. The black-eyed peas were well spiced and hearty.

Ideas for the future

I should explore more black-eyed pea ideas. What about a mash mixed with vegetables? Or mashed patties air fried?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home