Monday, February 04, 2019

Shredded Cabbage and Seitan (No Added Fat)

I had some finely shredded cabbage left from this weekend's Food for Life class and decided to make a waterless dish. I  put garlic, ginger, broccoli stalk cubes, onion, seitan, the cabbage, Roma tomato cubes, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper into a large Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.

I served with some freshly chopped cilantro. I also served Madagascar Pink rice, as well as heirloom tomato slices.

Results

Wow, we all enjoyed dinner. Frankly, I was a little concerned when the dish was underway as the batch of seitan that I had purchased wasn't as tasty as I had hoped. But the flavor combination was excellent and it didn't need any additional spices.

Ideas for the future

I love the results of waterless cooking and should more regularly cook this way. I don't cook with cabbage that often and should also do more of that.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home