Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Roasted Golden Beets and Fingerling Potatoes, Beet Greens with Vegan Sausage

I thought that I would make a roasted beet and potato dish, so took golden beets, separated the roots, coated the roots with a little bit of olive oil, and set them to bake at 425°F in a shallow plate for about 40 minutes. I added to the oven another shallow plate about 15 minutes later (so it had 25 minutes or so to cook), this one consisting of halved Russian fingerling potatoes that I had first put into a container along with a little olive oil and diced rosemary and shaken.

I had forgotten, however, that I had a photography meeting tonight, so simply turned the heat off at that point and came back 2 1/2 hours later; the beets were fine, but the potato a bit dried up. No matter, it ended up tasting fine, especially after adding some canned imported crispy onion pieces.

Yesterday, we went out to see a Durham Bulls baseball game. It was after 9p when we left (tied and in the 14th inning, as I recall!), and we walked right across the street and had (rather mediocre) pizza from Mellow Mushroom (we just had them not add any cheese and had already found that their crusts are vegan).

I took the beet greens, removed the stalks and cut them into 1" lengths, and tore the leaves into thirds. I began sauteeing a sliced apple-sage artisanal vegan Field Roast Grain Meat Company sausage. When it started browning, maybe in 3-4 minutes over medium heat in a cast iron pan, I added the stalks and cooked them for 4-5 minutes. Then I added the greens and cooked just for 2 minutes or so. I mixed in some salt, black pepper, and Eat in the Raw's Parma! vegan "Parmesan cheese".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home