Thursday, April 12, 2007

Heirloom Tomato Sauce on Conchiglie Pasta with Purple Asparagus and Limed Mushrooms

The sauce that I started yesterday cooked all day in the slow cooker on low from around 8:10a-7:10p. My wife was still at work then and the sauce was smelling done since maybe 5:30 or 6 and in fact had a bit of a burnt smell, so I went to exercise and turned the temperature down to warm - we didn't eat till a little after 10p!

In fact, though the sauce was good, it was probably the least interesting sauce that I have made. I would next time go for about 10 hours. I also grilled some big stalks of purple asparagus; it is pretty but loses its purple color as it cooks. I served the asparagus with fresh squeezed lemon and salt. I grilled some large chunks of white mushrooms and, when they were lightly browned, poured a little Baja Lime marinade on top, as well as salt and pepper.

This is likely my last dinner I'll be cooking till Monday or even Wednesday, as we'll be at the Full Frame Festival tomorrow through Sunday. We have an invitation to eat out on Monday but I mentioned that we will probably be tired of eating out. Tuesday is my cooking class.
ure

4 Comments:

At Thu Apr 12, 08:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger bazu said...

Those are some magnificent asparagus!

 
At Fri Apr 13, 12:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

You certainly love your heirloom tomatoes don't you?

Have fun at the festival...and yes, please send me your reviews in the mail, would love to read them...!

Trupti

 
At Tue Apr 17, 05:23:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your comment, Trupti. Yes, heirlooms taste so good! I'll have to email you my Festival reviews - you can also see my quick online thoughts at dilip2006.blogspot.com . See you!

Dilip

 
At Thu Apr 19, 09:57:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, bazu. They were quite large spears. Before cooking, they were quite purple. I photographed them but haven't had a chance to review the images yet. Thanks for your comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home