Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Butternut Squash - Canelllini Bean - Spinach Saute (No Added Fat)

For today's dinner, I prepared a main course of butternut squash, beans, and spinach. Here is what I did:
  1. In the Saladmaster stainless steel saute pan that I use frequently, I added three locally grown purple spring onions cut into quarters then 1 1/4" long slices. I turned the pan on medium high with no added fat or broth or other liquid, and stirred occasionally.
  2. As the onion cooked, after about 3 minutes I addd a half dozen shiitake mushrooms, halved, and continued stirring periodially.
  3. I added all of a 16 ounce package of frozen cubed butternut squash about two minutes later, as the mushroom cooked down a bit. I continued to periodically stir.
  4. As the squash defrosted and warmed up, after maybe 5-6 minutes, I added a cup and a half or so of baby spinach leaves, maybe 6 ounces of canellini beans, and a roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1" lengths and maybe 1/4" widths.
  5. I like adding onion at different points of a saute to get different mouth feels. I took two scallions, cut into 1" lengths, and added them as well at this point.
  6. I continued periodically stirring; after about 2 or 3 minutes, the spinach nicely cooked down, and I added a pinch or two of salt, and maybe a quarter teaspoon of dill.
That's it! I served it with the leftover Madagascar Pink - French Lentil combination from yesterday (I added some water and heated it gently in a covered pan for 6 of 7 minutes), and some tomato and turnip slices. Dinner was healthful and tasty!

2 Comments:

At Tue May 21, 10:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Adriana Robles said...

Sounds delicious! Did you use any oil to cook it with?

vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

 
At Tue May 21, 10:55:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Adi. I'll update the description to clarify that this is another no-added-fat recipe, as I've typically recently been cooking. Thanks for your comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home