Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Spinach Deep-Dish Pizza in Cornmeal Crust, Tater Tots

My wife has had a craving for spinach, so I thought of making a spinach pizza. I used Vicolo Pizza organic cornmeal crust pizza shells; they come frozen in a pack of two.

I simply sliced into thin half moons half of a sweet Vidalia onion and started sauteeing it over medium heat. After a few mintues when the onion was clearing in color, I put in several (three or four?) handfuls of baby spinach leaves, and cooked a few more minutes till the spinach was cooked and reduced a little in volume.

I put the onion-spinach mixture into a bowl and mixed in half of a 12 ounce can of tomato puree, about ten oregano leaves from my garden, a tablespoonful (maybe a little bit more) of pesto sauce, and a little salt. I spread the sauce into two pizza shells and on my pizza (not my wife's as she avoids non-fermented soy) put a few heaps of Scottish garlic and herb vegan creamy "Sheese" spread.

It was good! I also served some English peas and heated some tater tots (potato treats).

4 Comments:

At Wed May 21, 02:44:00 PM EDT, Blogger Erin said...

The pizza looks good and all, but TATER TOTS. You said the magic words. I can't bring myself to eat them that often but boy do I love a good tot with ketchup.

 
At Wed May 21, 10:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Erin. I have always loved Tater Tots, too :-) ! Happy belated birthday - your Italian restaurant outing sounds yummy. Don't hesitate to ask at restaurants for good food - they win by serving you and you win by eating something tasty!

 
At Sun May 25, 06:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. maybe you should make it for us sometime.we'll help.we will be visiting NC towards the end of June.~swetha vemuri ps. I think you're smart!

 
At Sun May 25, 08:18:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for the comment, Swetha! I hope that we get to see you when you visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home