Thursday, November 15, 2007

Broccolini-Crimini Mushrooms with Rice Noodles

Tonight I cooked with broccolini, a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale, and also known as asparation, tender stem, and baby broccoli. I soaked some rice noodles in very hot tap water for 5-10 minutes and started sauteeing a large shallot that I sliced into long thin pieces. A minute or so later, I added maybe 15 brown crimini mushrooms sliced into thirds. I let that cook for about 5-7 minutes, adding half of a jalapeno pepper cut into thin slices as well during that time, then added the broccolini. As it turned brighter green, I added the drained noodles, maybe two minutes later. I put in a little soy sauce, stirred, and served a minute or two later. I also served tomato, avocado, and some soaked lentils.

Tomorrow is cooking class; my students will be making delicious Italian dishes, including panzanella, bread salad. My parents are having a dinner party on Friday, and my wife and I are likely eating with them.

2 Comments:

At Thu Nov 15, 08:39:00 AM EST, Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

I always find the cross breed veggies so interesting. I mean purple califlower!? its like coming out of the wizard of oz. I love it! I have never seen the broccolini before. It would put my to favorites into one!

 
At Thu Nov 15, 11:57:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your comment, candice. Did you follow the purple cauliflower link to see a still life image I have taken of this pretty, tasty, and nutritious vegetable? BTW, I also like the film "Amelie"! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home