Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Leftover South Indian restaurant food, Hummus - Tomato - Sprout Sandwich

I was supposed to attend a photography meeting and had to attend to a repair on my wife's car, so had less than an hour to eat (it turned out that the meeting started earlier than usual so I didn't go). My wife simply heated leftover South Indian food from last Thursday (lemon rice, spicy sambar soup [not shown in the picture], uttapam "Indian pizza", and pakora) and, when I came home from the repair, I added some raw vegetables and a simple hummus-tomato-mung bean sprout sandwich.


My wife has some relatives from India visiting California and they flew in to see us, but came to Charlotte, about 2 1/2 hours from here. By the time they got home, it was about quarter after two in the morning and they hadn't eaten, so I put together a quick meal for them. I sauteed some okra and orange bell pepper and, in the last half minute or so of cooking, added a little cumin. In parallel, I made some quinoa in vegan broth, along with turmeric, ginger powder, and smoke flavoring. I mixed the vegetables in, along with salt, home grown oregano, and paprika. I also pan roasted halved golden potatoes. I mixed in rosemary from my garden, salt, pepper, and a lemon marinade.

Yesterday, we went to a graduation party at an Indian restaurant and had a reasonable dinner of rice, okra, and chickpeas. On Saturday, I made a rice dish with Brussels sprouts and tempeh; I'll have to try making this again. On Friday, our vegetarian society speaker, Will Tuttle, his wife, and my wife and I ate at a South Indian restaurant, Udipi; I enjoyed a nice rava dosa. We again had South Indian food, this time from Tower Restaurant.

vegan

2 Comments:

At Wed May 16, 11:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

Hi Dilip, how have you been?

that sprout sandwich with hummus looks splendid!

 
At Wed May 16, 12:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Trupti (new picture!). I've been okay but busy. I had a great meal of mushroom risotto planned for last night for my wife's relatives and us, but we were sightseeing and ended up using the time to eat out - a good meal but I missed making something for them. I'm glad I put together a quick meal the night (or should I say morning?!) before - simple as it was, they all were remarking how much they liked it! How have you been?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home