Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sea and Green Beans, Tempeh-Portabello Stack, Vegan Cheddar Spread on Muffin.jpg

A few days ago, I picked up a thin little sea vegetable called seabean (or pousse-pierre, sea green bean, or sea pickle). I know that sea vegetables are quite nutritious, but I generally don't like them as they're salty and often fishy smelling and tasting. But I thought I would try these little vegetables. I simply sauteed thinly sliced elephant garlic for a few minutes, then added green beans. A few minutes later, I added the seabeans and cooked just for a minute or two.


I also served a stack of sauteed portabello mushroom, slice of onion, and poato. Great news; my favorite vegan cheese, Scotland's Isle of Bute Foods, now has a spreadable "cream cheese". The U.S. distributor contacted me late last week to ask if I'd like to sample it. Today, I received several flavors, and opened the cheddar. It's very good! It has a good flavor, definitely reminiscent of cheddar cheese, and has a good spreading consistency. I put some on an English muffin half and served with fresh tomato; later, I added a little to several potato slices - it was quite good.
My wife loved dinner. I thought it was good, but the seabeans were salty.

1 Comments:

At Sat Apr 28, 01:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

I feel the same way about sea veggies too....I have tried, but can't get past the smell....
Thanks for the info. on the Vegan cheese spread....what other flavors did you get?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home